A different Breed of War: Counter insurgency

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A different Breed of War: Counter insurgency

Post  OptimusGonzo on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:13 pm

As you all know, the Iraq war is not something new to warfare. its a insurgent vs occupying force CTs vs Ts CSS style war that moves very fast and is very dangerous, as well as being very hard for either side to gain the upper hand. In this fast changing deadly enviroment, Victory by any means will come very differently than in a conventional war. In order to understand how to achieve victory, the US military comissioned the essential Counter Insurgency manual, based highly off of other combat experiences which revolved around a personal or local level of interaction to win. This is how Iraq is different. for the first time we have a universal guideline, and for the first time our Forces are being led by a commander who wrote his doctoral thesis on the failures of counter insurgency in Vietnam and how to correct those failures. Now if only politics and big business would just step out of the way, we could all go home and Iraq could return to peace.

Anyway, I wanted to post this with some links to the COIN manual and some references to it.

http://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-24fd.pdf the actual manual

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/ghosts-of-anbar-part-iii-of-iv.htm Michael Yon's blog of Baqubah Public Relation effort to get food shipments shipped. For a more negative look on the war, don't click this link.
OptimusGonzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A different Breed of War: Counter insurgency

Post  SDBolts on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:52 pm

If we are an occupying force contrary to our claim of being the opposite, and we are trying to occupy Iraq, then I think I have no more faith in our military command!

Yeah, and Gen. Shitsayus wrote that manual right? What a joke. It's not working against these stupid terrorists, and it will never work against a professional army in mass numbers (See Vietnam War).
SDBolts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OptimusGonzo on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:24 pm

SDBolts wrote:If we are an occupying force contrary to our claim of being the opposite, and we are trying to occupy Iraq, then I think I have no more faith in our military command!

Yeah, and Gen. Shitsayus wrote that manual right? What a joke. It's not working against these stupid terrorists, and it will never work against a professional army in mass numbers (See Vietnam War).

LOL! that manual was written in June 2006, how can you say its working or not? its officially written by the USMC and army. and furthermore, I used the term Occupying VERY VERY Lightly, as in any nation whose armed forces are present in another nation's for a any period of time might be considered "Occupying" Look At Russia in WWII, They got occupied by Germany, then they kicked the Nazi's Arses and pitchcapped them all the way back to the oder River!
OptimusGonzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SDBolts on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:33 pm

How can I say it's not working!?!? Because we in the same pit of failure xD
SDBolts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OptimusGonzo on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:54 pm

ah yes, bolts is the type who likes to take everything literally, and who also thinks that by writing a magic book we can INSTANTLY win wars! JUST ADD WATER! de ninguna manera Amigo, We are just measuring the full effects of the surge even after all this time, and A manual that is way more in depth than a number representing American presence takes even more time. But if you read the book, like I have read most of, You'll see that it's right in its calculations and assumptions of how to win COIN.
OptimusGonzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SDBolts on Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:23 pm

Just add water! Yeah, I wish govt. propaganda was true :/

But hehe, those terrorists are exponentially more afraid of Iraqi troops than they are of us!
SDBolts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OptimusGonzo on Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:37 pm

AND THATS WHAT THE MANUAL SAYS IF YOU READ IT! It among other things, mentions that its way better to let the Iraqis (or whoever else is running the local COIN operation) to lead them and do them even if they are doing so subpar (I'm not saying they are) then for the US to do them UBERPWNZOR like.
OptimusGonzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top