?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: ?

Post  OptimusGonzo on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:25 pm

SDBolts wrote:I have to admit, in the years to come, the toll of anime obsession will be quite extreme. Obviously these people won't like anime anymore (i hope), being adults and all, but the effect it had on them during their childhood and teen years is what will destroy them. Now nothing wrong with anime, but when you make it like your life, then good bye, you're pretty much like a stoner, except what you are doing is legal.
Too much of anything not helpful to you, whether bad or neither good or bad, will hurt you!
Too much of something good for you is VERY GOOD! Too much of God, too much of water, etc. it's all good Smile)

And why do you want to know how old my dad is?!?!?! :O
Put it this way, he was in the workforce by the later 5 years of the 70s.

ok, well, if you're a 1st generation American, then he's an immigrant, so I can't even really count him in that inclusion I made about stuff being socially acceptable. Obviously his time living in another culture has made him realize the differences and importance of various technology. If he's so tech savvy, why doesn't he join our forum? I could be like, OMG ITS MR. SDBOLTS *salutes* SIR!

I can't say that too much of God is bad for you, it just shows that you've got your priorities straight is all. And yes, those people that are so dysfunctional members of society that they retreat to Anime as a means of release are pretty sad....hopefully they will change, but still, its like they're EMO its really that bad.... sadly, just as MUSE sings, What we've become is contrary to what we want. America as a xenophobic nation is a great enviroment for establishing, "your own little world" where you don't have to be a functioning member of society to perservere, or I guess as the old term for it was, to jihad, if you get what I'm saying
OptimusGonzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SDBolts on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:32 pm

WTF does jihad have to do anything with this!!!!
lol! lol! lol! :irrelevant: anime obsession=/=Jihad
SDBolts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OptimusGonzo on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:36 pm

SDBolts wrote:WTF does jihad have to do anything with this!!!!
lol! lol! lol! :irrelevant: anime obsession=/=Jihad

Jihad from wikipedia:

ihad (Arabic: جهاد IPA: [ ʤi'hæːd]), meaning "to strive" or "to struggle", in Arabic, is an Islamic term and a duty for Muslims. It appears frequently in the Quran and common usage as the idiomatic expression "striving in the way of God (al-jihad fi sabil Allah)".[1][2]
A minority among the Sunni scholars sometimes refer to this Islamic duty as the sixth pillar of Islam, though it occupies no such official status.[3] In Twelver Shi'a Islam, however, Jihad is one of the 10 Practices of the Religion.
Jihad requires Muslims to "struggle in the way of God" or "to struggle to improve one's self and/or society."[3][4] Jihad is directed against the devil's inducements, aspects of one's own self, or against a visible enemy.[1][5]
The four major categories of jihad that are recognized are Jihad
against one's own self (self-perfection), Jihad of the tongue, Jihad of
the hand, and Jihad of the sword.[5]

Literally, it has many meanings, but today has taken on the meaning of fighting a religious war. And Jihad as a word has a very negative connotation with it today. The original concept of Jihad is not far from Christianity's practice of trying to build God's kingdom or in a more day to day sense, the struggle to survive, although I don't think Christianity has a term for that concept. Maybe backtothegrave knows, he's probably more knowledgable in religious matters than I am.
OptimusGonzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  backtothegrave on Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:18 pm

did someone summon me? cheers
well, i don't know much of the topic. any religion has developed that concept its own way. the thing that comes to my mind now are the so called "virtues", but they are a catholic concept more than a broadly cristian one.
the "jihad" concept seems to me more deep and rich than christian "virtues" and more similar to protestant ideas than to catholic dogma.
there are many virtues in catholic dogma:

Like a Star @ heaven 3 theological virtues, given by God to man who cannot develop them by himself (they permit man to have a good relation with God) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theological_virtues

Like a Star @ heaven 4 cardinal virtues, which man can develop by himself (these virtues are fundamental for good morality)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Cardinal_Virtues

Like a Star @ heaven 7 holy virtues, necessary to reach holyness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_virtues

those virtues are not everywhere "official catholic dogma", but in italy are so (and they make you learn them by heart at the religion school Sad booooring!!!)
as i see it, are the thing that most resembles the concept of "jihad"

PS italian wiki pages are clearer than english ones on this topic, don't trust too much on those links i added
backtothegrave

View user profile http://it.youtube.com/profile?user=backtothegrave

Back to top Go down

Post  backtothegrave on Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 pm

BTW, i don't know much of present-day special forces, but if i'm allowed i'll vote for chindits from ww2!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chindits
or for LRDG, from ww2 too (then merged into the SAS i think)
or for italian frogmen, them too from ww2
backtothegrave

Back to top Go down

Post  OptimusGonzo on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:06 pm

Gurkas are just as cool as Chindits. I would agree with your explanation of Jihad. its really a shame that Radical Muslims take the term from meaing to struggle in the way of Allah, to struggling to destroy Allah's kingdom on Earth. Its really sad when you think of the destruction they cause and in whose name they do it in. It would be as if someone was like, IN THE NAME OF THE GOD! and then proceeded to destroy the world, or conversely, invoked Satan's name in its salvation.

You know alot about religion and philosophy backtothegrave, do you have a youtube account? do you know shordanudah? he posed a question the other day and I struggled to try and answer it. maybe you can take a look, just becuase I had trouble phrasing my words.
OptimusGonzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  backtothegrave on Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:37 am

on utube i'm backtothegrave as here
ok send me the link i'll have a look Smile

when i was a child my grandma told me some stories about gurkhas. in 1944 the allies occupied my town and of course there where soldiers from everywhere.
my grandma was a child and made friends with some new-zealanders and indiands (i still have the presents they gave her), and once met some gurkhas. one of them had a necklace, which seemed made of dryed figs. she got closer and found out that those were human ears!! some of them used to collect the ears from killed enemies.... anyway the were very kind and respectful with civilians and prisoners.
another story she heard: some gurkhas used to hid themselves and then ambush lonely enemies and cut their throat with kukri.
an allied soldier had found a couple of german boots, and he dressed them because his own were broken. a gurkha in ambush saw a man wearing german shoes (he was hid so he couldn't see anything else) and he cut his throat, but then found out he had killed a fellow.
backtothegrave

Back to top Go down

Post  OptimusGonzo on Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:49 pm

yeah I had heard stories of Japanese soldiers just walking thorugh forest and losing sight of their comrads for just a second, the next thing they'd see is their friends headless....talk about psychological!

Didn't the US and allies help the Italians further south in 1945 when Vesuvius exploded? wasn't that like the first time it had in a few thousand years? I thought I had heard that it eruped in '45. I've seen some pictures of Etna in Sicily, from what I've seen its beautiful when not erupting, even though as Volcanoes and pyroclastic flows go it is fairly safe. I maintain a pretty decent interest in geology and geological news, considering I live so close to the New Madrid fault which made the strongest Earthquake in the US in the early 1800s...It rang church bells in boston months afterwards it was so strong and had so many aftershocks. the mississippi ran backwards!

Lol Speaking of famous eruptions, we have a herculaneum in Missouri too lol. Only problem is, since Missiouri is so rich in very pure Galena and Limestone, they're some of our biggest geological exports, and a led smelter in Herculaneum was causing a lot of potentially deadly toxic polution. Like at UMR where my brother goes to school it was founded back in the 1800s as a mining school in a lead mining town, and their mascot is still the Miner. Gah, now that I'm talking about geology I can't stop. I heard that in the Mexican American war we used Lead cannonballs which were lighter and better while the Mexicans used copper which was considered to be poisionous or more deadly at the time, when really it was the lead.
OptimusGonzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  backtothegrave on Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:32 am

lol!
i like geology, but i didn't study much of it at school.... we had too many subjects and too little time to study everything.
that story of vesuvio is true, it had some eruptions but none so strong as the 1945 one in centuries. old people say that in 1945 the ashes from vesuvio came even to my town, which if you look at a map is far far away!!
but after all the volcano itself s not as dangerous as the earthquakes it causes.
almost all italy is subject to eathquakes, my town too. some years ago we had for a week two-three earthquakes a day, some quite frightening (but at least little damages after all). but never confused rivers or ghost bells up to now (luckily)
as for lead, didn't you know that ancient romans made all fresh water conducts of lead? they noticed an increase in cancer, but couldn't understand the reason. and kept on using lead. Crying or Very sad

PS we should create a topic for ww2 stories, there are so many to tell....
backtothegrave

Back to top Go down

Post  OptimusGonzo on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:16 pm

backtothegrave wrote:lol!
i like geology, but i didn't study much of it at school.... we had too many subjects and too little time to study everything.
that story of vesuvio is true, it had some eruptions but none so strong as the 1945 one in centuries. old people say that in 1945 the ashes from vesuvio came even to my town, which if you look at a map is far far away!!
but after all the volcano itself s not as dangerous as the earthquakes it causes.
almost all italy is subject to eathquakes, my town too. some years ago we had for a week two-three earthquakes a day, some quite frightening (but at least little damages after all). but never confused rivers or ghost bells up to now (luckily)
as for lead, didn't you know that ancient romans made all fresh water conducts of lead? they noticed an increase in cancer, but couldn't understand the reason. and kept on using lead. Crying or Very sad

PS we should create a topic for ww2 stories, there are so many to tell....

yes I will go respond to your WWII stories post now. I would like to mention Oliver North. But I have one more question, is Mt. Etna as beautiful as the pictures I've seen of it when it isn't erupting? Oh and we don't study geology almost at all here, I just learn about it on the side because Missouri has such a interesting geological history...well, to me anyway Wink

As for that New Madrid quake, that was a long time ago and they can only estimate richter scale power. the one in southern Alaska (or so I'm told) managed to raise grounds in Texas in some places by Five Feet. I couldn't really believe that, but I do know the Alaska earthquake was more powerful but much shorter.
OptimusGonzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  backtothegrave on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:06 am

yes it is, it's wonderful (at least my friends told me so...) both when is quite and when it's erupting.

after all it's difficult to find a place in italy that is not worth a look, there's such a variety of places, people, stories...
i don't think there's another country in the world in which is possible to travel few km to find a completely different environment. of course countries like the usa have many more different environments, but not as many in such little place as italy.
backtothegrave

Back to top Go down

Post  OptimusGonzo on Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:46 pm

backtothegrave wrote:yes it is, it's wonderful (at least my friends told me so...) both when is quite and when it's erupting.

after all it's difficult to find a place in italy that is not worth a look, there's such a variety of places, people, stories...
i don't think there's another country in the world in which is possible to travel few km to find a completely different environment. of course countries like the usa have many more different environments, but not as many in such little place as italy.

How so? In Missouri you can drive to downtown St. Louis and see the old industrial center of the midwest, in all its decaying glory, or drive out through the county and see flat farmland for miles around, or drive to a little town in the Ozarks like Rolla, which sits on a mountain of a hill so magnificently you can see the horizon for miles around. And there's even little River towns a few hours away like Hannibal MO where Mark Twain was from. And on the other side of the state, places like Kansas City, Branson, and Independence where the wagon trains left from, and in the south, more old mining towns like Carthage and Springfield. I personally like to jest that we have everything but the Ocean lol. Of course, Italy has all that, including the ocean, so yeah, I guess you do +1 us lol.
OptimusGonzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  backtothegrave on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:08 pm

ocean.. lol the adriatic sea (the one closer to my town) is never deeper than 20m !!! that's not definitely an ocean....Very Happy
anyway in the range of 100 km i have the sea, the mountains, several historical towns, 3-4 airports, and everything you'd like to have (a part from volcanos and deserts)
backtothegrave

Back to top Go down

Post  OptimusGonzo on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:27 pm

backtothegrave wrote:ocean.. lol the adriatic sea (the one closer to my town) is never deeper than 20m !!! that's not definitely an ocean....Very Happy
anyway in the range of 100 km i have the sea, the mountains, several historical towns, 3-4 airports, and everything you'd like to have (a part from volcanos and deserts)

ah well, we do have an active fault in the south, and a 5 million year old dormant volcano too. But thats old news. The Ozarks are practically mountains, they way they're so rugged. St. Louis has always been a major center of aviation in the States, ever since Lindbergh did his thing.
OptimusGonzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  su37rulez on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:42 pm

SDBolts wrote:I'd have to go with Spetnaz or SAS.
Yeah, that's right bolts!
Spetsnaz
SAS is British right?
su37rulez

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Su37rulez

Back to top Go down

Post  su37rulez on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:44 pm

Uberwarz wrote:D-DELTA force is the best special forces power!
dont say its not couz we are fighting against terrorims like Russians
we hate our politics because the blow our connections with Russia!
if we would work together!..... we could kill all the drug dealers all the terrorists help PKK !
What does Russia has to do with that?
Spetsnaz
su37rulez

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Su37rulez

Back to top Go down

Post  OptimusGonzo on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:46 pm

I dunno, But I think he's saying don't dock the D-Force's rep just because they're not fighting terrorism and instead go after more political targets. And Russia is included because Russia is fighting terrorism, so just because you're doing something noble on a political scale doesn't mean that you're men fight better, unless they're strongly influenced by their ideology they fight for. Actually, there's a lot of sense in an arguement like that, Soldiers that believe they're fighting for whats right are more likely to succeed in battle.
OptimusGonzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  backtothegrave on Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:46 am

OptimusGonzo wrote:I dunno, But I think he's saying don't dock the D-Force's rep just because they're not fighting terrorism and instead go after more political targets. And Russia is included because Russia is fighting terrorism, so just because you're doing something noble on a political scale doesn't mean that you're men fight better, unless they're strongly influenced by their ideology they fight for. Actually, there's a lot of sense in an arguement like that, Soldiers that believe they're fighting for whats right are more likely to succeed in battle.

and to fail in life... but that's another story...
anyway who fights for his home and family fights better than those who fight for conquest and loot.
but high ideals can make the difference too: remeber the international volunteers that saved madrid from fascist offensive in 1937. they didn't fight for their own home, but they made great deeds of valor because they felt that the destiny of democracy in the whole world was on their shoulders.
i don't think they can be seen as a "special force", but i think they deserve to be remembered here.
also italian alpini deserve to be included here, at least for the battle of nikolajevka in 1943.
backtothegrave

Back to top Go down

Post  OptimusGonzo on Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:48 am

See extreme skill in battle raises ethical questions. Has anyone here seen Jarhead? basically it shows way more in depth how it indoctrinates men to become killers. That movie is pretty dirty, but it still has a lot of scenes l like in it.
OptimusGonzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  backtothegrave on Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:12 am

OptimusGonzo wrote:See extreme skill in battle raises ethical questions. Has anyone here seen Jarhead? basically it shows way more in depth how it indoctrinates men to become killers. That movie is pretty dirty, but it still has a lot of scenes l like in it.

sorry, never seen it...
backtothegrave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum