Russian submarine K-407 Novomoskovsk

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Russian submarine K-407 Novomoskovsk

Post  shagohood on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:53 am

6 August 1991 21:09, Novomoskovsk, under the command of Captain Second Rank Sergei Egorov,
became the world's only submarine to successfully launch an all-missile
salvo, launching 16 ballistic missiles (RSM-54) of total weight of
almost 700 tons at an interval of several seconds (operation code name
"Behemoth-2"). The first and the last missiles hit their targets
successfully, while the others were self-destroyed in the air according
to the plan. This operation was considered by the Soviet Navy as a part of possible nuclear war
scenario ("Dress rehearsal of the Apocalypse") and experimentally
confirmed the technical possibility of a safe underwater all-missile
salvo. Politically, the Soviet ballistic missile submarines passed a
reasonability check as a part of strategic triad. The previous attempt
of an all-missile salvo (operation code name "Behemoth") was performed
in 1989 and finished unsuccessfully, however with no casualties. As the experiment took place just before the August Putsch in the USSR, its results were forgotten for a while, and the crew's work wasn't rewarded by the Soviet government authorities.
shagohood

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/shagohood7

Back to top Go down

Re: Russian submarine K-407 Novomoskovsk

Post  shagohood on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:10 am

People this is the world's only submarine to successfully launch an all-missile salvov, you know what i mean it's the only.
shagohood

Back to top Go down

Post  OptimusGonzo on Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:27 pm

shagohood wrote:People this is the world's only submarine to successfully launch an all-missile salvov, you know what i mean it's the only.

Soviets had great subs. and they went to great lengths to make sure those subs were kept in good condition, although there were some instances where they fell a bit short, and you all know what I'm talking about. The US COULD have done a similar naval practice launch, but as a nation we aren't in the mood to spend money, and if we are spending it, if it comes to our attention, then we can do more to not spend it. Hence the contractors in Iraq, if the government documented their actions better, we'd see we were paying them a HUGE price compared to our regular soldiers, and then people would cry out against them as is only being done now after they show themselves to be fully incompetent in a firefight. Thank God they're not the Marines or Army, those guys would be court martialed so fast it wouldn't be funny.
OptimusGonzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shagohood on Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:18 pm

OptimusGonzo wrote:
shagohood wrote:People this is the world's only submarine to successfully launch an all-missile salvov, you know what i mean it's the only.

Soviets had great subs. and they went to great lengths to make sure those subs were kept in good condition, although there were some instances where they fell a bit short, and you all know what I'm talking about. The US COULD have done a similar naval practice launch, but as a nation we aren't in the mood to spend money, and if we are spending it, if it comes to our attention, then we can do more to not spend it. Hence the contractors in Iraq, if the government documented their actions better, we'd see we were paying them a HUGE price compared to our regular soldiers, and then people would cry out against them as is only being done now after they show themselves to be fully incompetent in a firefight. Thank God they're not the Marines or Army, those guys would be court martialed so fast it wouldn't be funny.
yea i'm with you
shagohood

Back to top Go down

Post  SDBolts on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:45 pm

If the Russians make more subs like this, then there will be MORE than one submarine to have accomplished this Very Happy
SDBolts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top